Student Honors and Honor Society
The BSW program has a Dean's list to recognize student excellence. The policy, as approved by the Faculty in 1997, reads as follows:
- BSW students with a semester GPA of 3.75 or better will be named to the Dean's List.
- The BSW program will forward the names of the eligible students to the Office of the Dean. This information should be forwarded within two weeks following the posting of semester grades.
- The Dean of the School will notify students of their achievement by mail.
- The Dean's List will be posted in a public place within the School.
- Only students taking a full course load in either the Fall or Spring semesters will be eligible.
- The Dean's List will be compiled twice a year.
To be designated a Founders Scholar, an undergraduate degree-seeking student must have earned a cumulative grade point average of 3.8 or above by the end of the fall term immediately preceding the Honors Convocation.
Graduating With Honors
Each year, graduating students who rank in the upper 10 percent of their graduating class are recognized by graduating with Distinction (Highest, High, and With Distinction). These students are awarded specially colored "cords" which they wear attached to the shoulder of their graduation gowns during the commencement ceremony.
Phi Alpha Honor Society-Kappa Gamma Chapter
Students who have completed the first semester of the junior year social work courses with an overall GPA of 3.50 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) and a GPA of 3.50 or higher in required social work classes are invited to join the Phi Alpha Honor Society. All courses from the student's undergraduate career, including courses taken from other higher education institutions, are included in the overall GPA calculation.