The practice of social work is regulated separately in each state throughout the United States. This means that in order to practice social work, one must have a license to do so. The MSW graduate is immediately eligible to apply to become a Licensed Social Worker (LSW) upon graduation from IUSSW. This entails applying through the Behavioral Health and Human Services Board of the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency (IPLA) and then passing a national examination.

As an LSW you can begin to practice clinical social work under the supervision of an Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).  After two years of clinical supervision you can apply for the LCSW through the same process as noted above.

Beginning January 1, 2017: if you have an MSW degree and are working in a behavioral health and human services position (regardless of job title) you must be licensed.