Program Cost Information

Estimate your tuition and fees

The total cost for completing the MSW program varies depending on the length of time you are in school. To graduate, every student will need to complete 60 credit hours. Advanced Standing students will pay tuition for 41 credit hours. 

Other Expenses

Costs for books and supplies vary from term to term. An estimate of $37 per credit hour for books provides an approximate total. Expenses for transportation and personal items also vary from student to student. The cost of attendance estimate includes allocations for these expenses, and federal financial aid can be used to cover these costs.

Financial Information

Visit the campus Financial Aid Office


The IU School of Social Work also provides a limited number of scholarships to students. Notification of the application process for School of Social Work scholarships is sent to currently enrolled students via university email during the fall term.

IU School of Social Work Scholarships

Social work-specific awards are also available through national social work organizations. The Council on Social Work Education and the National Association of Social Workers Foundation provide information about scholarships and fellowships available to MSW students. You can also find information about social work scholarships at Social Work License Map: Social Work Scholarships. Free scholarship search engines such as FastWeb,,, and the U.S. Department of Labor also offer information about alternative scholarship options. When searching for private scholarships, remember that scholarship searches and information are free to anyone. Do not pay for any searches for financial aid awards. 

Additional Funding Opportunities
Veteran's Benefits

Graduate students may be eligible for veterans’ benefits. Visit the Veterans Support Services for details about aid available to service members and their dependents.

Employment-based Tuition Assistance

Students can also cover their costs through working while pursuing their degree. Many employers offer tuition assistance or reimbursement for employees furthering their education. Students can explore employee tuition assistance programs by contacting employer’s human resources department. Part-time positions may also be available on campus or in the local community. The Office of Student Employment provides information about employment opportunities and details about current job postings. Some students may qualify for employment through the Federal Work-Study program. To be considered for Federal Work-Study awards, students should file their FAFSA by March 10 each year and indicate their preference for the funding on the FAFSA when prompted. Visit Student Central for more information about the Work-Study program.

The Indiana University School of Social Work, with the support of the Indiana Department of Child Services, offers financial support to current DCS employees selected to participate in the Child Welfare Scholars Program. Learn more about this program. Child Welfare Scholars Program

Additional Financial Information
Other Loan Considerations
  • Federal student loans are awarded twice each year – once prior to the main academic year (fall and spring semesters) and once prior to the summer semester. Financial aid awards for the main academic year are typically available for review through One.IU in June or July. Summer financial aid is typically available for review in March or April.

  • You will be offered loan funds up to your maximum eligibility. You will have the ability to choose how much you would actually like to borrow. For the main academic year (fall and spring semesters), the amount that you accept to borrow will be split into two equal disbursements – one for each semester. Should you need more or less loan funding during a specific semester, please contact the financial aid liaison for assistance.

  • Available loan funds for the summer semester are based on a student’s remaining annual loan eligibility. If you borrow up to your annual loan limit of $20,500 in Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans during the fall and spring semesters, you will have no Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan eligibility remaining for the summer and will need to explore alternative options such as cash payments or the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan.

  • The origination fee assessed by the Department of Education reduces the amount of funds that are applied to your university account. For example, if you borrow $1,000 only $990 will be applied to your account to cover tuition and fee charges. If you have questions about how much to borrow to ensure that you receive enough to cover your costs, please contact your financial aid liaison for assistance.

  • Assuming that all required steps are completed, your loan funds will disburse to your student account as early as 10 days before the start of your classes each semester.

  • Borrow conservatively. You are not obligated to use all of your loan eligibility each year. Accepting only what you truly need will maintain eligibility for future terms and minimize your overall student loan debt.

  • Graduate students are limited to $138,500 in Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Student Loans during their lifetime. This total includes both graduate and undergraduate borrowing. Track your overall loan debt by reviewing your financial aid history through the Department of Education’s National Student Loan Data System.

  • Interest begins accruing on federal student loans as soon as the funds are disbursed. Consider paying the interest on your loans while you are in school. Any unpaid interest on the loans will be capitalized when the loans enter repayment. Interest capitalization increases your overall loan balance and the total amount that you repay.

  • Federal student loans enter repayment at the end of a six-month grace period. The grace period begins when a student graduates, leaves school, or drops below half-time enrollment (4 credit hours).

Federal Student Loan Deferment

Graduate students enrolled at least half-time (4 credit hours) are generally eligible for in-school deferment on their prior federal student loans. You may be asked to verify the information you provided on your FAFSA before you can be declared eligible to receive financial aid. IU Bloomington will contact you by mail if you’re selected for verification. Learn more about verification through Student Central.

Student Refunds

Any financial aid funds that we receive above and beyond your tuition and fee charges will be refunded to you. You can use the refund to pay for your books or other educational expenses. Learn more about the refund process through Student Central.

Federal Student Loan Forgiveness

MSW graduates may be eligible to have a portion of their federal loan debt forgiven. The Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program offers student borrowers the opportunity to have the remaining balance of their Federal Direct Loans cancelled after making 120 on-time payments while working full-time at a qualifying public service organization. For more information about the program, including qualifying loans and jobs, the application process, and frequently asked questions, go to Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.

Additional Financial Aid Resources

Financial Aid Questions and Concerns

Should you need any assistance with understanding your student account, exploring financial awards, preparing to enter repayment after graduation, or any other financial aid questions or concerns, please contact: Student Central via the web, by phone at 812-855-6500.